Here is your recon mission until next time-
- Cigar Box-Find a WOODEN cigar box, yes it has to be wooden at least at the sides and the bottom of it. But if you can score an all wood one, all the better. A good size to look for is 10x7x1, bigger is better but if it is a little smaller it will still work. The thinner the wood the better tone it seems to have (at least in my opinion). The best place to get them is your local tobacco shop. Most stores give them away for free, ahhhh free is good. If you can't find one for free then take a look on eBay check out CB Gitty
- Wood-You will need to find some hardwood for the neck, a good size is a 1x2x32 (it really measures 3/4 x 1 ½ inches) and it needs to be at least 32 inches long. Most home improvement stores sell them in a 36 inch length. It has to be a hardwood. Poplar is a pretty inexpensive choice, but Red Oak, Maple, Ash, or Mahogany look great also but cost a bit more. I go to the local mill and get a batch of rough cut hardwood and mill it down myself but this requires some more tools and a bit more time. I wouldn’t recommend this for your first guitar. The stuff you will find at the local home improvement or lumbar yard is good, I’m just obsessed with finding the best. Photos of Hardwood
- Tools- You will need a coping saw, tape measure, pencil, drill with 3/8, 9/32 and 1/8 bits, rasp (or one of those rasp/chisels are pretty good for the money) and various grits of sandpaper. If you have a belt sander it will save a lot of time but it isn’t necessary. Finally, you will need an old fashioned miter box and saw. If you don’t have these tools borrow them or make this guitar with a friend that has them (tools are not included with the $25.00 budget). If you don’t know how to use these tools, read up on them or look them up via YouTube. I don’t want any of you guitar players to loose a digit while making one of these. Photos of Tools
- Tension Pins – You will need 3 each 1/8 x3/4 tension pins or roll pins – These can be found in almost any hardware store.
- Safety gear – You will need a dust mask, work gloves and safety goggles.